Barbecued Asparagus with Garlic Ciabatta
- 1 medium head garlic, unpeeled
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped eschalot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 700g thick stemmed asparagus, woody stems removed and trimmed
- 4 thick-cut slices ciabatta or sourdough bread
Preparation:50min › Cook:10min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Coat the head of garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray, and roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Once the garlic is roasted, cut the head in half horizontally, exposing all the cloves. Squeeze cloves into a bowl, discarding any skin. Whisk in 2 tablespoons more olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While the garlic is roasting, place the eschalot in a bowl with the balsamic and red wine vinegars for about 30 minutes to let the flavours blend. Whisk in remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place asparagus spears in a baking dish and pour over the eschalot and vinegar mixture. Set aside until ready to barbecue.
- Preheat barbecue for medium-high heat.
- Place asparagus in a large frying pan or directly on the grilling hot plate. Cook the asparagus until tender, turning over once for about 10 minutes.
- While asparagus is cooking, spread the roasted garlic mixture on the bread. Barbecue bread until toasted.
- Arrange the bread and asparagus on a plate, and drizzle with the remaining eschalot and vinegar mixture.
If you have the barbecue going before cooking the asparagus, wrap up the garlic in aluminium foil and roast in the barbecue rather than turning on the oven.
Altered ingredient amounts. Yummy! I let the aspargus marinate overnight and also increased the vinegars to 1 tablespoon each and then added some garlic to the vinaigrette. A nice, light flavour to complement the asparagus and not take over the meal. I didn't even do the bread and garlic spread, though...can't wait to try that! - 29 Sep 2008
This took me a bit longer to make than I had expected, but it was wonderful. Everyone thought this was the best asparagus they had ever tasted! - 29 Sep 2008
This recipe was loved by my whole family even kids!!!! - 29 Sep 2008