Indian Eggplant (Bangan ka Bhurta)
- 1 eggplant
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped
Preparation:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the grill. Place the eggplant in a baking tray and grill for 5 minutes turning occasionally, until about half the skin is scorched.
- Place eggplant in microwave safe dish. Cook 5 minutes on High in the microwave, or until tender. Cool enough to handle, then remove skin, leaving some scorched bits. Cut into thick slices.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Mix in eggplant and tomatoes. Season with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Continue to cook and stir until mixture is soft. Garnish with coriander to serve.
Used different ingredients. Try this small change and you will definitely have authentic baingan ka bharta. After peeling off the eggplant skin, mash the pulp coarely. Use the mashed eggplant for the last steps when you return this to the pan with onions etc. Cook this well, add 2 tsp of cumin powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp garam masala. Happy cooking ! - 29 Sep 2008
I give this a five because it was simple. I added some fresh ginger because it was a bit bland. I'm glad I did because it turned out great! - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. After eating something similar to this in a Mediterranean Restaurant I have been searching high and low for a recipe. This is it! This recipe is very tasty and easy to make. I left out the coriander and the next time I make it I will omit or cut out the cayenne pepper. It was just a little too hot for me but a great eggplant side dish! Good and healthy! - 29 Sep 2008