Banana Prune Muffins
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 250g (3 medium, peeled) mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 3/4 cups (200g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 185g chopped pitted prunes
Preparation:15min › Cook:25min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and lightly flour a 12 cup muffin pan, or use paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and egg. Beat until smooth. Blend in banana and vanilla essence. Mix together flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl, then stir into egg mixture until just combined. Mix in the prunes. Spoon mixture evenly between the muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
The name will turn your guests off, but I guarantee that they'll eat two. I made mini-muffins, and they came out great. I used half of the sugar, and I didn't cut up the date enough. Next time, I'll cut them into smaller pieces so that the prune taste isn't so overpowering. - 29 Sep 2008
These are really nice! I also replaced half the flour with wholemeal and added extra cinnamon and vanilla extract. - 16 Jul 2013
Always looking for a new muffin recipe, these were great. I added 1/2 cup vanilla low fat yoghurt, 1/2 cup grated carrot and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Added the extra vanilla as suggested and split the flour and used 1 cup of wholemeal and 3/4 cup plain. - 06 May 2013