Wholesome Poppy Seed Banana Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups (155g) wholemeal flour
- 90g wheat bran
- 50g wheatgerm
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 250g (3 medium, peeled) mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (125ml) skim milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine wholemeal flour, wheat bran, wheatgerm, bicarb soda, baking powder and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, honey and vegetable oil. Stir in bananas, milk, lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Make a well in the centre of the wholemeal flour mixture, and pour in egg and banana mixture. Fold together until just combined. Spoon evenly into the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Used different ingredients. Very good. I added vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Made them a bit sweeter and had great flavour. Next time I think I'll add some raisins. - 29 Sep 2008
I only tried this recipe because I had some surplus wheat germ lying around and was looking for a way to use it up. And now I think I will never make any other kind of banana muffins again. These are just the best that I have ever tasted. I was actually worried that they might be too healthy - after all they are almost fat-free and very lightly sweetened with honey. But they don't taste like low-calorie muffins (and in fact, they aren't any lower in calories than regular muffins, though I'm sure they are healthier). I suppose they might not appeal to everyone, but if you're the type of person that likes bran muffins, try these - you will not be disappointed. - 29 Sep 2008
These muffins are absolutely delicious. If you are a fan of very sweet, cake-like muffins, this recipe is definitely not for you. These muffins have a very heavy bran taste and are only slightly sweet from the bananas and honey. If I serve these to guests, I'll probably add more sugar. - 29 Sep 2008