Blueberry and Banana Muffins
Serves : 12
- 2 cups (240g) wholemeal flour
- 1/3 cup (75g) dark brown soft sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) mashed banana
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup (150g) fresh blueberries
Preparation:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease 12 muffin pans, or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarb soda. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas, egg whites and vanilla essence.
- Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Used different ingredients. So easy - so tasty! I wanted a healthy alternative to cake, so I made these for my one year old to take to day care to celebrate her birthday. I did tweak the recipe some-- (I doubled the recipe) I added a couple egg yoks, a little extra vanila and a whole lot of blueberries. Then I baked them in mini-muffin pans instead of a cake pan, and baked them a few degrees cooler. They came out very moist and flavourful. I think the trick is to pack them full of blueberries. One of the teachers even asked for the recipe! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. A quick recipe, but not too much flavour, besides the blueberries. Adding a little sugar on the top before putting them in the oven helps to sweeten it up, and yes it does need tweaking. The mix after adding the egg white mixture was too dry and I had to add more egg whites. Using all whole wheat flour can make them too bready, maybe doing half wheat and half white; I'll let you know when I try! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I changed the brown sugar to 1/2 cup sugar. I used 2 whites. I added 3/4 cup skim milk, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons natural applesauce, and a little salt. I had 3/4 cup banana and 1 1/4 cup blueberries. I baked them at 200 degrees C for 18 minutes. Next time I will try all applesauce and use splenda for half of the sugar. My husband, 2yr old, and I really liked them. My husband said they taste more like a quick bread than a muffin, but still very good. - 29 Sep 2008