5 people made this
This recipe is a favourite of my family. Great on a cold winter's night. Yummy served with thickened cream or hot custard or even vanilla ice cream.
1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
1 1/2 cups (350g) brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (185g) self raising flour
30g butter, room temperature
1/3 cup (90g) castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/3 cup (75ml) milk
- Caramel: In a large saucepan melt butter then add water and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Dumplings: Sift flour then rub in softened butter with fingertips to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Mix to a doughy consistency.
- Keeping hands moist while rolling dough into small balls.
- Cooking: Drop into caramel and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Serve.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate