Be the first to make this!
This is a traditional southern American dish that is served at Thanksgiving, I was initially sceptical but the savoury spiced potatoes go well with the marshmallows.
4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup dry ginger ale; not ginger beer
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 whole cloves
water, as required
1 tablespoon brown sugar
10g butter diced
- Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan with the ginger ale, cinnamon, bay leaves and cloves.
- Add water until potatoes are suspended.
- Place on high heat and boil until potatoes are soft enough for mashing; 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain fluid and removing spices then return the sweet potatoes to the saucepan and mash.
- When mashed stir in butter and brown sugar. This can be made hours before baking.
- Place mash mixture into a ceramic baking dish spreading evenly to the edges.
- Cover with a single layer of marshmallows and place in moderate oven of 150 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the marshmallows have melted and are golden.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate