Flourless Lemon Cake
- 500g raw sugar
- 500g butter or margarine
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups ground almonds
- 1 1/3 cups fine polenta
- 6 lemons, juiced and the rind grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g caster sugar
Preparation:10min › Cook:1hour40min › Extra time:5min › Ready in:1hour55min
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C and grease line the bottom of a 25cm tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter or margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time mixing well each time.
- In a separate bowl mix together the polenta, ground almonds, lemon rind, baking powder and salt. Fold into creamed mixture.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours-check after 1 1/2 hours. While cake is baking place the lemon juice and caster sugar into a saucepan and boil until the juice has reduced by about half.
- Prick holes in the cake once it's out of the oven and pour the syrup over the cake letting the syrup soak in until you've used all the syrup. Leave to cool in the tin.
I felt this recipe had way too much butter in proportion to dry ingredients but went ahead anyway. It was swimming in butter- you could see it seep out of the mass while cooking, and it prevented it cooking properly, at the end of the cooking process was a bubbling pan of slop. 250g would have been more appropriate. was a disappointing entry to the rubbish bin as theu ingredients are expensive. Also the amount of sugar appears quite high? but not as obviously dreadful as the butter lol - 14 Jan 2011
Made it healthier. I felt that there was too much butter and sugar so instead of 500gr of butter - I used 650gr and of the 500gr of raw sugar - I used 150gr (I find that this type of sugar does not blend in as castor or brown sugar would) & to that 100 gr. of castor sugar. I used the juice of 6 lemons but the rind of 7, to give it that little bit more of a bite. I used a fanforced oven top and bottom @ 170oC to start for the 1st 60mins and then put foil over the top to stop from burning and cook for a futher 20-25mins @ 150oC. It was large and moist cake and had that great sweet & a little sour taste, very refreshing. - 08 Jan 2011
This is such a great combo of flavours with the sweet, and sour and the polenta provides good body to it. A hit and Im definitely coming back - 21 Oct 2008