Mini Vegemite Snails
A slightly thinner version of vegemite scrolls with herbs and mustard. These snails make great finger food. Freezing the roll for 30 mins makes them easier to cut thin but is not essential.
12 people made this
2 cups (250g) self raising flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
pinch dried mixed herbs
2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups grated tasty or cheddar cheese
1/3 cup water
vegemite as needed (at least a tablespoon)
Extra time:30min freezing ›
- In a large mixing bowl sift in the flour, mustard and paprika. Add the herbs. Using your fingertips rub in the butter. Add the cheese and mix well. Add the water and mix to a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the pastry until it is a firm dough.
- Roll out pastry into a thin rectangle. Spread the vegemite all over it to your desired thickness/thinness.
- Roll up into a roll. Pop it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to make cutting easier but just so it firms, not freezes.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Remove roll from freezer and cut into thin slices, approx 1/2 cm.
- Place onto a greased baking tray (you may need to do this in 2 batches). Bake for approx 10-14 minutes.
- Carefully using a spatula remove to cool on a wire rack.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (7)
My husband made this recipe and found that the 1/3 cup water was no where near enough water. He needed to add about another 1/4 cup water before the dough came together.
26 Mar 2012
I made these for my daughters birthday party.Noone ate them,they were hard as a rock.Dont believe recipe had enougth water,would not make again
25 Aug 2012
User's IP: 184.108.40.206