NZ Corn Fritters
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water (more if needed)
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 can (410g) creamed corn
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
Preparation:5min › Cook:5min › Ready in:10min
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg with a little water. Sift in flour and baking powder, add salt and pepper and stir - adding water if needed - to achieve a medium batter. Make sure the mixture is not too thin. Add the can of cream corn, season and stir.
- Heat half the oil in a frypan to a medium heat and add spoonfuls of the batter in the pan. Flip the fritters when they start to bubble on the top - 1-2 minutes but test they are cooked through before removing them. You may need to add a little more oil after each lot is taken out of the pan as they absorb it quite well.
Altered ingredient amounts. You can also add corn kernels to the mix for a texture change, as well as cheese, bacon and spring onion to add to the flavour. - 19 Dec 2010
I needed to add some milk - maybe 100mls or so. Without it the mixture was too dry. Once I got the batter to the right consistency they tasted great. - 27 Oct 2008
Great basic recipe, although I just reduced flour down to 3/4 cup rather than add milk as other reviewers have suggested, and consistency was great. Also added some chopped coriander, which worked well. - 05 Feb 2012