Sweet Rice Pudding
Serves : 12
- 1 cup (200g) short grain rice
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (60g) raisins, or saltanas
- pinch ground nutmeg
Preparation:35min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour35min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Place rice in a large (3 litre) saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil stirring often to prevent sticking on saucepan base. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla essence and salt. Mix well. Stir in rice and raisins. Pour into a 20x30cm baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes; stir pudding and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake additional 30 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the edge and the centre comes out clean.
Altered ingredient amounts. Turned out great, but I halved the amount of rice - rice doubles in size when it cooks people and 2 cups of cooked rice is way too much for 500 mLs of milk. I didn't stir it part way through cooking either - I just let it cook/set. I also didn't add sultanas - but that's just personal taste. - 26 Dec 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Oh was this ever dry. I added an extra 225ml of milk, a little extra water when cooking the rice and still it was like eating a bowl of rice. I added a little extra sugar because I like it sweet. The flavour was good-the texture not good at all. - 21 Jul 2008
Good basic recipe, but you need to: (1) BAKE it only for 30 minutes [instead of an hour] OR you MUST USE another 225ml of milk because it was too dry. (2) I'd also put in 4 tablespoons more sugar only because I like it a bit sweeter and 3) I'd butter the baking dish, and maybe add a Tablespoon of butter to this recipe. Good, solid comfort food :=) !!! - 21 Jul 2008