Crustless Eggplant and Fetta Tart
Serves : 6
- 4 large eggplants cut into even slices 1cm thick
- 4 cloves garlic, minced with half cup of olive oil-more or less to taste
- 4 red capsicums, seeded and cut into six lengthwise slices
- 200g rocket
- 100g pesto, premade or shop bought
- 400g fetta cheese
- 200g rocket leaves
- 2 eggs
Preparation:15min › Cook:30min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease a 20x35cm baking dish.
- Brush the sliced eggplant on both sides with oil and the minced garlic. Grill until brown on both sides. Remove browned eggplant and place it in a plate and let it cool off. Grill capsicums with skin side up. When capsicum's skins are blackened, remove from heat. Put the capsicums in a plastic bag and let them cool off. Remove blackened skin.
- Arrange the first layer of cooled off grilled eggplant in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the first layer of rocket over the eggplant. Add a layer of grilled capsicum. Spread the first layer of pesto over the capsicum. Crumble a layer of feta over the pesto. Repeat layers. It is best to finish with a layer of eggplant.
- Beat the two eggs and pour the mixture over the last layer of eggplant. Bake for 30 minutes.
Very tasty, quite healthy and good for lunch or dinner. Preparation took longer than expected because of grilling of eggplant and capsicum, probably about 30-40 minutes and I altered the ingredients (see tweak). It looked and tasted great and I'd definately make it again. - 15 Nov 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. Great recipe. I only used 2 eggplants, 2 red capsicums, 200g of feta and I didn't include the garlic (as my father is allergic to it) or the pesto. I used spinach leaves instead of the rocket. It worked out really well, pumpkin would probably taste good in it too! - 15 Nov 2009