Classic Bacon and Egg Pie
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 rashers bacon, trimmed and diced
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup (100g) grated tasty or cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 6 - 8 eggs
Preparation:10min › Cook:45min › Extra time:5min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a pie or quiche dish and line with one sheet of pastry.
- Spread onion and bacon over pastry, cover with peas, cheese and tomato slices. Crack whole eggs over, keeping yolk intact. Lay remaining sheet of pastry over the top, trim edges.
- Cook in pre-heated oven for 40 - 45 mins or until golden.
Great basic recipe but you need some seasoning to bring out the flavors. I altered it to add seasoning (salt and black pepper) and also lightly sauteed the bacon and onion together for about 3 minutes to start the fat rendering and to soften the onion before adding it. I also omitted the pastry top and instead laid the thinly sliced tomato to the top. - 12 Jan 2012
This pie was delicious. I didn't know if the bacon and onion needed to be cooked first, so I did. Yummo, will be making this again. Thanks, it was a winner in my family. - 02 Nov 2010
Great recipe, so tasty. The whole family loved this one. - 02 Dec 2011