- Shortbread Base
- 185g butter
- 1/3 cup (90g) sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (310g) flour
- Caramel Topping
- 60g butter
- 200g sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
Preparation:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Shortbread Base: Cream butter and sugar together. Mix in flour.
- Cover the bottom of a high sided baking tray with about a 1 1/2 cm thick layer of the mixture. Reserve some to crumble over the top before baking.
- Caramel Topping: Melt butter in a saucepan then add the condensed milk and golden syrup. Mix together.
- Pour or spread the caramel mixture over the shortbread base.
- Crumble the reserved shortbread mixture over the top. The aim is not to evenly cover the caramel but to have clusters and little lumps of shortbread crumbs scattered all over it.
- Bake for fifteen minutes or until the shortbread is light golden brown.
- Allow to cool then cut into thin rectangles or fingers.
Nice, but I think it will be nicer when I bake it longer than 15min next time, it wasn't quite done. Great recipe for using up the half can of condensed milk in the fridge! Tip: I lined the baking tray with tin foil to stop it sticking, so glad I did! - 05 May 2012
very dry and surprisingly not sweet despite all the sugar & syrup. - 08 Aug 2012
Hi my name is Samantha and I am 13, I made this recipe and I thought it was great :D I also sprinkled some walnut and chocolate chips on the top along with the extra base for some more flavour! - 02 Aug 2013