Southland Cheese Roll
116 people made this
If you know the cheese roll from your childhood-welcome back! If you're new to this South Island toasted treat-jump in. Great with soup or as a snack on their own. Yum!
500g tasty cheese cut into small portions
3 medium brown onions, roughly chopped
1 can of unsweetened evaporated milk
1 packet French Onion Soup mix
2 loaves of white bread, crusts removed
- Process the cheese, onion, soup powder and evaporated milk in batches in a food processor until the consistency is that of thick porridge, not too wet, not too dry.
- Empty into a bowl and repeat process until all ingredients have been processed. If the end mixture is too thick, add some more milk, or if too runny, add some more cheese.
- On a slice of bread, (less crusts as the crusts left on make it too hard to roll) spread a small amount of mixture over 3/4 of slice then roll up. The bread should bind with the mixture.
- Grill under griller turning once until brown, then apply a generous amount of butter along top of hot cheese roll.
- These can also be baked at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.
My nana used to make these for me as a child! I made 3 batches and froze them! still really yummy re-heated in the microwave then under the grill!!! FAVOURITE SNACK!!
- 29 Jul 2010
Waaaaay too much onion. 1 onion along with the soup mix is plenty. Also add in 1/4 cup cream for extra tastiness/badness!
- 17 Mar 2012
Raewyn these were not like I remember, maybe less onion next time and more cheese all I can taste is onions!
- 21 Oct 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate