Wild rice and fennel salad
Serves : 6
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 bulb baby fennel, very thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 125 g seedless red grapes, halved
- ⅓ cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup raisins or sultanas
- 1 orange
- To garnish: 4–6 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 3 sprigs fresh chervil
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup hazelnut or walnut oil
- 3 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:25min › Cook:25min › Ready in:50min
- Cook rice according to the directions on the packet. Drain well and cool.
- Combine cucumber, fennel, spring onions, grapes, hazelnuts, raisins or sultanas in a large bowl.
- Grate in the rind of the orange.
- To make the herb dressing, squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from the orange and pour into a small bowl. Finely chop the chervil, tarragon and parsley and add to the juice with the oil and vinegar. Whisk together then season to taste.
- Mix rice with the salad vegetables and pour over the dressing.
- Just before serving, garnish the salad with sprigs of tarragon.
This salad can be made in advance and left to stand for 30 minutes before serving. The mix of fruit and nuts makes it an excellent accompaniment to game or chicken. * Nut oils are available in delicatessans. If you cannot find them, substitute with extra-virgin olive oil.