Banana Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 90g wheat bran
- 1 large egg
- 155g dark brown soft sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 90g wholemeal flour
- 60g rolled oats or oat bran
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 125g blueberries
Preparation:15min › Cook:20min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C . Grease 12 muffin pans or line with paper muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix buttermilk with wheat bran. In another bowl, beat together egg, sugar, oil, banana and vanilla essence.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, bicarb soda and baking powder. Stir buttermilk mixture and egg mixture into flour mixture until flour is just moistened. Stir in walnuts and blueberries. Spoon batter evenly between muffin pans
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or cooked when tested with a skewer.
Crispy yet moist texture...my toddler son loved them! The banana flavour was not strong enough so I may need to add an extra one next time. Used frozen blueberries and made them cupcake size for little hands to hold. - 21 Aug 2009
Have saved this as a favourite. We made these this morning as our first School Holiday project. Great fun to make and are soooo yummy! We didn't have any blueberries so used canned drained boysenberries - the muffins went a bit purple but still tasted great!! - 05 Jul 2009