1 / 1 Picture by: Zoë Harpham
- 375g fettuccine or tagliatelle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g broccoli florets
- 250g baby carrots, scraped, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed and drained if frozen
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 25g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tablespoons plain flour
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- 100 ml cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan
Preparation:15min › Cook:20min › Ready in:35min
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli and carrots in another large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Add the peas and red capsicum and cook for a further 3 minutes until all the vegetables are just tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the garlic, cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk and cream. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1–2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cheese until just melted and smooth, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta well, then toss with the vegetables and the sauce. Transfer to a large dish and serve immediately.
To avoid waste, chop the broccoli stalks and toss them into a soup or casserole. Or thinly slice and blanch them for a salad.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!