Sweet and Sour Rice Noodle Salad with Tofu
- 250g dried rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, sliced
- 4 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage, about 340g
- 3 1/3 cups baby English spinach leaves, about 170g
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 200g firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, chopped
- 1–2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:24min › Ready in:24min
- Place the rice noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and soak for a further minute. Drain well.
- Put the noodles and bean sprouts in a large bowl, add the soy sauce and sesame oil and toss together well.
- To make the dressing, purée the chopped cucumber in a food processor or blender. Add the garlic, vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar and seasoning to taste, and process again to blend completely. Taste for sweet and sour balance.
- Toss the sliced cucumber, cabbage, spinach leaves and carrots together, then arrange on a serving platter or divide among four plates. Add the egg wedges, tofu and the noodle and bean sprout mixture. Drizzle with the sweet and sour cucumber dressing, then serve.
• You can use a plain or marinated tofu in this salad – just make sure you pick a firm one so that it will hold together when you cut it. * • To hard-boil eggs, put the eggs in a small saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 6–8 minutes, depending how hard you like your eggs. Drain, then refresh under cold running water. When cool enough to handle, peel the eggs, then cut into quarters.