1 / 1 Picture by: Janet Mitchell
Split pea & green pea soup
Serves : 4
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1¼cups split peas
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram leaves
- 1½cups frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yoghurt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the spring onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until the spring onions are tender. Add the stock, the split peas, mint, marjoram, and a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the green peas and cook for a further 5 minutes or until both the split peas and the green peas are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée. Return the soup to the saucepan and gently cook for 3 minutes or until heated through. Swirl 1 teaspoon yogurt into each serving and top with a grinding of pepper.
Did you know?
Split peas are a good dietary choice for diabetics, as their complex carbohydrates (starches) are metabolised relatively slowly into glucose (sugar).
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!