Individual tartlets served with a salad garnish make an attractive entree. The fish filling used here is very light; whisked egg whites are folded into the sauce producing an airy soufflé-like texture. Serve straight from the oven.
• Instead of salmon, use tinned tuna in spring water, well drained.
• Serve the tartlets cold for an easy picnic dish. Although they will not have a soufflé appearance, they will still taste delicious.
To make SOUFFLÉD SPINACH AND PARMESAN TARTLETS,
• Heat 125g frozen spinach over low heat until thawed.
• Squeeze out excess moisture and add spinach to the sauce with ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg; omit the salmon, dill and chives.
• Stir in egg yolks and 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Fold in egg whites; bake as for the main recipe.
• Serve with salad leaves and cherry tomatoes.