Extra time:5min ›
- Pour 3 cups (750 ml) of the milk into a wide frying pan with a lid. Add the cod and bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cod is just cooked.
- Lift out the fish with a slotted spoon and leave to cool slightly, then peel off the skin and break the flesh into large flakes. Set aside. Strain the milk and reserve 600 ml, as well as the bay leaf.
- Put the leek in the frying pan and add the reserved milk and bay leaf. Cover with the lid and simmer for 10 minutes or until the leek is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for about 8 minutes or until tender but not breaking up. Drain well. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Remove the bay leaf from the frying pan and discard. Mix the cornflour with the remaining cold milk to make a smooth paste. Add to the leek mixture and cook gently, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the watercress, which will wilt. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the flaked cod, folding it in gently. Transfer the mixture to a 2 litre pie dish.
- Arrange the potato slices on top of the fish mixture, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with the cheese and season to taste. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until the fish filling is bubbling and the potatoes are turning golden.
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with parsley and allow to stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Some more ideas…
• Serve with roasted tomatoes on the vine, cooked for about 15 minutes alongside the pie, and steamed broccoli.
SMOKED COD, CAPSICUM AND FENNEL PIE
• Cook 1 seeded and chopped red capsicum, 1 small chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan until the onion is soft.
• Add 250 g thinly sliced fennel bulb and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 can chopped tomatoes (about 400 g) and season to taste. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the fennel is tender.
• Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into pieces and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Pour the capsicum and fennel sauce into the pie dish.
• Lay the skinned cod fillets on the top (cut to fit if necessary) and scatter with the drained potatoes. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes and ¼ cup (20 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
• Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Each serving provides
GI estimate medium.