In this version of fish pie, leek and watercress are added to boost the vitamin value, and sliced potato and tasty cheese make an appealing topping for this hearty winter lunch.
• Serve with roasted tomatoes on the vine, cooked for about 15 minutes alongside the pie, and steamed broccoli.
SMOKED COD, CAPSICUM AND FENNEL PIE
• Cook 1 seeded and chopped red capsicum, 1 small chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan until the onion is soft.
• Add 250 g thinly sliced fennel bulb and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 can chopped tomatoes (about 400 g) and season to taste. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the fennel is tender.
• Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into pieces and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Pour the capsicum and fennel sauce into the pie dish.
• Lay the skinned cod fillets on the top (cut to fit if necessary) and scatter with the drained potatoes. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes and ¼ cup (20 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
• Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
GI estimate medium.