Sausage, pasta and mixed bean bake
Serves : 4
- 375 g good-quality pork sausages
- 250 g penne (pasta quills)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 400 g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 270 g can corn kernels, drained
- 2 cups (500 g) tomato purée (passata)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
Preparation:10min › Cook:55min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Fry the sausages in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, turning occasionally, for 12–15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool slightly, then slice thickly. Meanwhile, cook the pasta for about 7 minutes — you are only partly cooking the pasta at this stage. Drain the pasta.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and fry, stirring often, for 4–5 minutes, until softened. Add the celery and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Combine the onion and celery, sausages, penne, beans and corn in a large ovenproof dish, about 33 × 25 cm in size. In a large jug, mix together the passata, Worcestershire sauce and water. Pour over the ingredients in the dish.
- Cover the dish closely with a lid or foil, then bake for 25–30 minutes until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve immediately as the pasta will go soggy if left to stand.
4 portions vegetables
You could omit the sausages and replace with cheese, adding diced mozzarella to the mixture, and sprinkle the top with a little mature cheddar cheese. * Instead of the canned mixed beans use a can of baked beans.