1 / 1 Picture by: bettybaloney
Roasted Moroccan chicken with pumpkin
- 500 g peeled, seeded butternut pumpkin, cut into 2-cm cubes
- 8 small pickling onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (cassia)
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 small skinless chicken thigh fillets, trimmed of visible fat
- 12 fresh coriander sprigs, plus ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- Couscous mixed with green peas and mint, to serve
Preparation:25min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Coat a large flameproof roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Combine pumpkin, onions, 2 teaspoons of the oil and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining oil, the honey and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Add spices, garlic and pepper. Rub this mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Place coriander sprigs in the centre of the roasting pan. Set chicken thighs over the coriander sprigs. Surround chicken with the pumpkin and onions. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, turning vegetables twice, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter or individual plates (leave coriander sprigs in the roasting pan).
- Add stock and remaining lemon juice to roasting pan and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Simmer for 1 minute. Strain the liquid through a sieve into a medium bowl. Spoon pan sauce over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve with couscous mixed with peas and chopped mint.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!