Risotto with chicken & mushrooms
Serves : 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken thigh or leg meat, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 250g fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1¼ cups Arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups boiling chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation:15min › Cook:55min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick saucepan over moderate heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and put aside.
- Add the onion to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add the button mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir to coat, then add the wine. Cook until the wine has been absorbed, about 4 minutes. Add 1 cup stock to the rice along with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed. Add 1 cup stock and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed. Repeat with the last cup of stock.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until the rice is creamy but not mushy and the chicken is cooked. Stir in the Parmesan and top with a grinding of pepper.
Did you know?
*Chicken is almost always a good menu choice, but beware of what fast-food restaurants do to it. Most commercially crumbed chicken nuggets have more than 17 grams of fat per serving.
*Chicken is rich in niacin, which may play a role in cancer protection. Laboratory experiments suggest that niacin may help prevent certain precancerous changes at the cellular level.
My boyfriend wanted me to make him some dinner and I NEVER cook so I tried out this recipe and it was not only very easy to follow but was also very delicious. He ended up having 2 servings! Great risotto. - 26 Apr 2011
I can only get dried shitake mushrooms - so if you use dried ones, only use three or four, otherwise their flavour takes over. I added some chives right before serving and it was lovely. - 06 Nov 2012
Took shortcuts. I cheated and used the sunbeam microwave risotto base and it still worked okay. Added some snowpeas too which added in some nice colour. - 08 Aug 2009