1 / 1 Picture by: Elaine Russell
Rich Vegetable Stock
- 2/3 cup (125g) whole wheat grains
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 125g dark flat mushrooms, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 litres water
- 1 sprig of fresh parsley, stalk bruised
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation:55min › Cook:1hour20min › Ready in:2hours15min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Put the wheat on a baking tray, spread out evenly and roast for 30 minutes or until the grains are dark brown.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and stir to coat them in the oil. Cover the pan and sweat the vegetables for 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Stir in the roasted wheat, carrots and celery. Pour in the water, increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to the boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Reduce the heat to medium–low. Add the parsley, thyme, marjoram, bay leaves, peppercorns and salt. Cover the pan and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl. Use at once or leave to cool, then chill until required. The stock will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!