- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 60 g butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 kg piece pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, flesh cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup soft white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or marjoram
Preparation:45min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour30min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil and half the butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin and sprinkle with ﬂour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Continue to cook the pumpkin for 3 minutes more, stirring until golden. Transfer to a lightly oiled 6-cup ovenproof dish. Combine the breadcrumbs with the chopped parsley and basil or marjoram and spoon evenly over the pumpkin mixture. Dot the top of the breadcrumbs with the remaining butter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve the pumpkin gratin immediately.
Something else. There seems to be cheese missing from this gratin. Not sure if that is intentional, but I included some grated Tasty on top. Parmesan would have been good but didn't have any handy. Also didn't have breadcrumbs so just chopped an end piece of Burgen Soy Lin into small pieces and used that, which crunched up nicely. All in all delicious. - 15 May 2010