1 / 1 Picture by: Elaine Russell
Parmesan Bread Sticks
- 3 cups (420g) white bread or plain flour
- 1 cup (90g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 300ml lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup (50g) semolina or polenta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Preparation:25min › Cook:36min › Extra time:50min rising › Ready in:1hour51min
- Mix 1 cup (140g) of the flour with the parmesan, rosemary, pepper and yeast in a large bowl. Blend in the water. Add 1 1/2 cups (180g) more flour to form a soft dough. Dust a work surface with the remaining flour. Turn the dough on to the floured surface then knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, working in the remaining flour to keep the dough from sticking. Divide the dough into two equal pieces. Cover with a damp tea towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut two 40 x 30cm sheets of baking paper and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon semolina. Pat out the dough pieces on the paper into 25 x 15cm rectangles. Brush with the oil and cover with tea towels. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line four baking trays with baking paper and sprinkle with the remaining semolina. Put one of the dough pieces into the fridge. Cut the other piece across into 20 equal strips. Holding each strip by the ends, twist and stretch until it is about 30cm long. Place the twists 2 1/2cm apart on the baking trays. Leave to rise, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the strips of dough with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the bread sticks from the oven and lightly coat again with cooking spray. Bake for a further 8 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining piece of dough.
Some more ideas…
Add very finely chopped walnuts to the dough with the parmesan. * Use a mixture of parmesan and another strong grating cheese such as pecorino.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!