Mediterranean salad with broad beans or edamame
Serves : 6
- 1 cup frozen broad beans or shelled edamame beans (see ‘tip’)
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cos lettuce
- 250 g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, quartered, or 2 medium tomatoes, cored, cut into wedges
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 200 g fetta cheese, crumbled
Preparation:25min › Cook:5min › Ready in:30min
- For broad beans: bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add broad beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water. When cool, peel off the skin.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, sugar and pepper in a screw-top jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to blend.
- Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, olives, mint, parsley and cooked beans in a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle the lemon dressing over salad and toss to coat well. Sprinkle each serving with fetta.
To cook frozen edamame beans, add pods to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and place into iced water to cool and then pod beans. You'll need about 2 cups pods to get 1 cup beans.