Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 700g orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 4-5cm chunks
- 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice (about 3–4 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan, add enough water to cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the orange juice, ginger and garlic in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until the juice is reduced to 3/4 cup, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the margarine and stir until melted.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, drain them and return to the saucepan. Mash with a potato masher or stick blender. Gradually add the reduced orange juice mixture, stirring with wooden spoon. Season with pepper.
I really like the flavor combinations of the orange and sweet potato. I'm not a fan of ginger so I only used a pinch instead of the tablespoon that the recipe called for. - 13 May 2013