Basic Steamed Pudding
40 people made this
An oldie but a goodie. You can vary this pudding recipe with different flavours, such as lemon zest, sultanas or other fruit. Serve with custard.
125g butter or margarine
125g caster or brown sugar
185g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffy and almost white. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing vigorously. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Gradually incorporate the flour into the mixture as lightly as possible, keeping to a dropping consistency by adding a little milk.
- Place in a greased 1.2 litre pudding basin, and cover with greaseproof paper and secure with string. Place basin in a large pot and fill with water until 2/3 of the pudding bowl is covered with water.
- Cover pot and steam the pudding for 1-1 1/2 hours - checking every so often to see if water needs topping up.
- Remove from pot, take off paper and run a spatula around the edge of the bowl to release the pudding.
- Serve with custard.
I tried this recipie tonight, the pudding had such a wonderful crumb. I made an apple and rhubarb mix and put on the bottom of my pudding basin.
- 27 Mar 2014
Write a review
Click on stars to rate