Lettuce, Carrot and Fennel Salad with Lemon-Sherry Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 head red lettuce, such as oak leaf or red coral
- 1 small head radicchio
- 2 medium carrots (about 250 g)
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about 500 g), with leafy fronds
- fresh lemon balm leaves, for garnish
- lemon and sherry vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons lemon–flavoured olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:25min › Cook:3min › Extra time:7min › Ready in:35min
- Toast sunflower seeds in a frying pan over medium heat until fragrant and golden, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a plate; set aside to cool. (They will continue to cook slightly once you remove them from the heat source.)
- Tear or chop lettuce and radicchio into small pieces; arrange on a serving platter.
- Coarsely grate carrots. Cut fennel bulb into thin slices. Place carrots and fennel on top of lettuce. Finely chop a few fennel fronds; set aside.
- To make lemon and sherry vinaigrette, whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice and tomato juice until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to salad and toss. Garnish with sunflower seeds, fennel fronds and lemon balm leaves.
Some people find that raw fennel is difficult to digest. To solve this problem, first cook the fennel bulb in lightly salted boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Cool in iced water and proceed with recipe.