Extra time:10min ›
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray a 20x13-cm loaf tin with cooking spray.
- Place the poppyseeds in a small baking dish and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and crunchy.
- Blend the oil, butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a medium bowl. Add the whole eggs and the egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon rind.
- Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the yoghurt in a small bowl. Stir together the cornmeal and flour. Alternately fold the cornmeal mixture and the yoghurt mixture into the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the cornmeal mixture. Fold in the poppyseeds.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin on a rack, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Did you know?
The colour of cornmeal (yellow or white) is determined by the type of corn used to make it. There's virtually no nutritional difference between the two, except that yellow cornmeal contains minute amounts of beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are all disease-fighting carotenoids.