Scottish sticky date pudding
3 people made this
A decadent moist dessert. My dad brought this recipe back from a Scottish B&B.
1 tsp baking powder
125 pitted dates, chopped finely
1 Tbs extra flour
80g unsalted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
315ml boiling water
For the sauce
45g packed brown sugar
40ml thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease a loaf tin or medium sized baking dish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and set aside. Toss the dates with the 1 Tbls extra flour in a small bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in yet another larger bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg along with a little of the flour mixture, for about a minute. Beat in remaining flour mixture.
- Add dates, baking soda, and vanilla to the boiling water, stirring to combine. Add this to batter, beating until well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until well set and brown on top, about 35 - 40 minutes. Remove from oven and turn on the grill.
- To make the sauce, heat the butter, brown sugar and cream in a small pan over medium heat and allow to simmer about 3 minutes, or until thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the top of pudding and place under the grill.
- Grill until the top is bubbly, about one minute. Remove from the grill and let cool slightly. Serve with cream
Being a newbie to the kitchen I thought I would try my hand at my 1st pudding...Man it was great everyone loved it...I would have taken a picture but we ate it to quickly
- 09 Jun 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate