Hearty braised beef and vegetables
- 1 kg lean chuck or blade steak, trimmed of visible fat, cut into large cubes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 400-g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- low-GI rice or macaroni, to serve
- green beans, to serve
Preparation:30min › Cook:2hours15min › Ready in:2hours45min
- Sprinkle beef with black pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan and brown meat in 2 to 3 batches, transferring meat to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the pot and add onion, carrots and parsnips and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, cook 1 minute. Add wine and stir to scrape up the bits from the pot and then return beef to pan with tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Stir and add mushrooms and cook for another ½ hour. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, stir in peas. Add parsley and serve.
- Serve with a small serve of rice or macaroni and steamed green beans.
i found that it kept getting quite dry during cooking (i think my stove cooks very hot even on low) so i ended up using the entire 1L container of chicken stock...me and my 8 year old enjoyed this rather rich meal, served with mashed potato and we will make it again...i did notice that the parsnips completely disintegrated, again, maybe becasuse of how hot my stove cooks - 21 Jul 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. 1L chicken stock instead of 1 cup i also substituted half a tablespoon of dried thyme for the fresh. - 21 Jul 2010