Mango Upside Down Cake
- 1 ripe mango
- 170g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g natural yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sunflower oil
- finely grated rind of 1 lime
- 185g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 30g desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Use a 18cm square, deep tin with a loose base or a 20cm round, deep cake tin. Grease tin and line the base with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Peel the mango. Cut the flesh away from the stone and slice thinly. Arrange over the bottom of the prepared cake tin.
- Place sugar, eggs, yogurt, oil and lime rind in a large bowl and stir until smooth and mixed thoroughly. Sift flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture, alternating with the coconut.
- Spoon mixture over the sliced mango and smooth the top. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Check after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the cake is browning too quickly.
- Leave cake in the tin for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto the rack of a grill tray, mango-side up. Peel off baking paper. Preheat grill. Dust cake thickly with icing sugar and place under the hot grill for 3–4 minutes or until the sugar has melted and is golden. Leave to cool on the rack.
- Transfer the cake to a plate for serving. Any leftover cake can be covered with cling film and kept in the refrigerator for 2–3 days.
I've made this cake three times now and each time it got raves from my family and friends. It's lovely and moist with great flavour. It's a beautiful dessert to go with an Asian meal. Or just on its own. If you can get long, moist shredded coconut instead of the small, dry stuff it's nicer. As an alternative to sprinkling on icing sugar and putting it under the griller I tried brushing the cake pan with butter and sprinkling with palm sugar before laying down the sliced mango. It was fine but not better and the mango discoloured slightly. Do try this recipe. You won't be disappointed. - 03 Jan 2014
- 05 Jul 2012