Fresh Tomato and Leek Soup
1 / 2
2 / 2
Be the first to make this!
Make the most of home-grown tomatoes in this soup, which is made hearty with sautéed leeks and vermicelli noodles.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
1 kg well-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 celery stalk
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon tomato puree
2 garlic cloves, crushed
pinch of sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g vermicelli or spaghetti, broken into short lengths
20g butter, diced
sprigs of fresh thyme to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened.
- Tip the chopped tomatoes into a blender or food processor and whizz them into a pulp.
- Finely chop the parsley leaves. Tie together the parsley stalks, celery, thyme and bay leaf to make a bouquet garni.
- Add the tomatoes to the leeks, together with the tomato puree, chopped parsley, garlic, sugar and bouquet garni. Season with salt. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni.
- Add the vermicelli or spaghetti to the soup and cook for 5 minutes until just tender. Add the butter, stir and season with pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and serve garnished with thyme.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate