Extra time:10min ›
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly coat a 33 x 22 x 5 cm baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until al dente, following packet instructions. Drain well; return to pan.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add the spring onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup of milk until thoroughly blended. Stir in the remaining milk. Bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring, until lightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard, cheddar and half the parmesan.
- Fold sauce into the macaroni. Transfer mixture to baking dish. Place the tomatoes in single layer over the top. Combine remaining parmesan and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes; serve.
Use any short- to medium-sized stubby pasta shape in this macaroni cheese recipe: radiatore, rotelle, short fusilli, wagon wheels, ziti, penne or farfalle are suitable.
For children, use fun shapes such as letters of the alphabet and stars.