- Remove crabmeat from the pincers (claws) and legs of crabs, then remove meat and entrails from the bodies. Discard entrails, keeping only the livers.
- Cut crabmeat and livers into pieces. Cut undersides of shells along the curved join and break off. Rinse out shells with warm water and let dry.
- Thinly slice spring onions. Cut hearts of palm into small cubes. Cut celery stalks into small cubes. Halve papaya and scrape out seeds; peel and cut flesh into small cubes. Mix crab pieces and salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, fish stock, mustard, salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne pepper until combined. Finely chop mint leaves. Add mint and parsley.
- Drizzle vinaigrette on salad ingredients. Season with salt, cayenne pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice. Spoon into crab shells. Garnish with lime slices.
hearts of palm
Mostly sold in cans, hearts of palm are the edible buds and tips of a palm tree. Cylindrically shaped with rings like an onion, creamy white palm hearts have a delicate flavour similar to that of artichokes.
breaking open and shelling crabs
1. First carefully twist the pincers (claws) and legs of the crab away from the shells and break off.
2. Using lobster shears, crack open the pincers. Remove meat by pulling it out of the legs using a lobster fork.
3. Lift the tail plates on the undersides of the crab; remove with a twisting movement. Lift out the meat and entrails.