- Place chicken livers in a bowl. Add red wine, 1 tablespoon vinegar, bay leaf and thyme. Chill, covered, 1 hour.
- Tear lettuce into small pieces and arrange on a serving plates. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick pan. Add onions and fry until golden brown. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Peel apples and slice thinly. Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add apple slices and cook briefly. Add lemon juice, wine, ground aniseed and sultanas. Cover pan; cook another 3 minutes or until apples have softened but still hold their shape. Remove from heat.
- Remove chicken livers from bowl with a slotted spoon, reserving marinade. Pat livers dry on paper towel. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan over high heat and cook chicken livers on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken livers on top of lettuce.
- Pour reserved marinade into pan and bring to a boil. Add remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over salad. Arrange apples and onions on top.
warm chicken livers with green beans and tomatoes
1. Marinate 400 g chicken livers as in main recipe. Trim 500g green beans; cut into short lengths. Cook in vegetable stock (broth) to cover, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Dice 1 medium red onion. Drain 8 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves and chop finely.
2. Mix beans, onions, tomatoes and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano in a serving bowl. Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and pour over salad. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick pan. Cook chicken livers 2 to 3 minutes. Add to salad.