1 / 1 Picture by: Elaine Russell
Cajun Chicken and Ham Rice
- 300g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage or marjoram
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) basmati rice
- 1 litre chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 100g cooked smoked ham, cubed
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (about 400g)
- salt and pepper
- sliced spring onions to garnish
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
Preparation:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Cut the chicken into 2cm cubes. Sprinkle with the Cajun seasoning and the sage, making sure that the chicken is coated all over. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium–high heat, add the chicken and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cubes are browned on all sides. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan with the onion, green capsicum and celery, then fry for about 2 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and basmati rice and fry for another minute.
- Pour in the stock and stir well. Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the ham and canned tomatoes. Cook, covered, for a further 5–10 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Season to taste with Tabasco and a little salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the spring onions and parsley.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!