Butternut and corn gratin
- 1 butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1¾ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained or 310 g tin corn kernels, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan or mature cheddar
Preparation:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Combine the pumpkin, onion and corn in a large bowl, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with herbs and season with salt and pepper. Toss together.
- Tip the vegetables into a baking dish or roasting tin that measures about 23 × 33 cm. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender, stirring halfway through.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the vegetables and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
• Bake the vegetables in an oven-to-table baking dish for simplicity of serving and to save on washing-up.
• For an unusual pasta dish, bake the vegetables as in step 2, then stir them into a pan of tomato pasta sauce and heat through. Toss with freshly cooked pasta and sprinkle with parmesan.