Steamed Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
- For the Pudding
- 250g pitted dates
- 300ml water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour
- For the Butterscotch Sauce
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 375ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:1hour45min
- For the Pudding:
- Combine the dates and water in a medium saucepan; bring it to the boil. Stir in the bicarb soda. Remove from the heat.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a food processor; add eggs, one at a time. Add the date mixture and process for 10 seconds. Add the flour; process for 20 seconds or until just combined.
- Grease a 1.5 litre (6-cup) pudding basin. Pour the mixture into the basin. Cover the pudding with a greased piece of wax paper or foil and then the lid.
- Put the bowl inside a covered steamer with boiling water coming halfway up the sides of the basin. Boil for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- For the Butterscotch Sauce:
- Combine the sugar, butter, cream and essence in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until smooth.
- Serve the pudding drizzled with the sauce.
really delicious pudding and so easy to make. all the family loved it - a very large 10 out of 10! Highly recommended...! - 02 Nov 2010
I have scrapbooked this recipe, everyone who has tried it says it is simply the best they have had. They weren't lying. A must try- with or without a photo, this dessert is the best!!! - 05 Jan 2010
Made this with a friend as an emergency 'we need a pudding' whilst the rugby was on! Threw it all together at half time and OMG it was foolproof!! Tasted amazing, texture was perfect and just left it steaming whilst we enjoyed the rest of the game and afew drinks and voila it was deee-lish! - 19 Oct 2011