Broccoli and Rice Soup
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large head broccoli, about 600g, cut into florets, stalks diced
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons long grain white rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds, toasted, to garnish
Preparation:15min › Cook:25min › Ready in:40min
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Set aside a few florets of broccoli to use as a garnish, then add the rest to the saucepan along with the onion and garlic. Return the stock to the boil, then tip the rice into the saucepan. Cover and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli and rice are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the reserved broccoli florets in a little lightly salted, boiling water for 5 minutes until just tender. Refresh in cold water and drain on paper towels.
- Take the saucepan of stock off the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly, then blend it in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return the soup to the pan to reheat. Stir in the sour cream and season to taste. Serve garnished with the reserved broccoli florets and the toasted almonds.
Used liquid chicken stock from the supermarket; it was way too salty and didn't taste very nice. - 06 Jun 2009
my family loved this! I used a reduced salt stock which balanced it all out. Was very yummy, can't wait to make it again! - 16 Apr 2013
Good soup recipe. I used a stock cube and it turned out well. I also used brown rice and left out the cream, it is creamy enough. Maybe use 3 garlic cloves next time. - 09 Jul 2012