1 / 1 Picture by: Elaine Russell
Black-Eyed Bean Casserole
Serves : 8
- 3/4 cup (135 g) dried black-eyed beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 litre water
- 725 ml salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 250 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250 g turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour10min › Ready in:1hour25min
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover generously with cold water. Cover the bowl with a plate and leave to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. Drain the beans.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan and sauté the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 5–8 minutes.
- Add the water and stock together with the beans, potatoes, turnips and herbs. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Partly cover the casserole dish and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Uncover, season with the pepper and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!