Serves : 4
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Ground cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice, well rinsed
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yoghurt
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric and a pinch of cloves, and cook for 30 seconds or until the spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the rice, yoghurt, 2½ cups water and a pinch of salt, and bring to the boil. Cover and bake for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir in the sultanas and pistachios.
Did you know?
Half the world's people rely on rice as their staple food. Rice offers B vitamins and some minerals; its protein features a good balance of amino acids. Wild rice—not a true grain but the seed of a wild grass—supplies slightly more protein than brown rice, and is considerably lower in kilojoules.