- Trim beef of fat. Place beef, roughly chopped vegetables, bay leaf, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon peppercorns and the clove in a saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Skim any fat from surface with a slotted spoon. Continue cooking, partly covered, over low heat 2 hours. Remove pan from heat. Leave meat to cool in cooking liquid.
- Dice cucumbers and onions and place in a large bowl. Remove meat from pan. Reserve cooking liquid and discard vegetables. Cut meat into small cubes. Add to bowl with remaining peppercorns and allspice and mix well.
- To make marinade, combine cucumber pickle liquid, oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Pour marinade over meat mixture. Top up with cooking liquid so that meat mixture is completely covered. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator 12 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Stir in a little of the herbs. Taste and add remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, if needed. Spoon salad into serving bowls using a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with remaining herbs.
beef and potato salad with horseradish dressing
1. Cook 500 g lean beef as for the main recipe, without the carrots and celery. Add 2 chopped carrots and 2 chopped celery stalks in the last 10 minutes of cooking; carrots and celery should still be crunchy.
2. Remove meat, carrots and celery from stock. Let cool; chop into small pieces. Place in a serving bowl. Dice 1 small red onion and 4 medium cooked potatoes. Add to bowl and mix well.
3. To make horseradish dressing, whisk 200 g light sour cream with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon horseradish cream. Add 1 small apple, finely grated, and salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley. Serve with meat salad.