Banana Cake with Lemon Icing
- For the Cake
- 140 g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ripe, medium bananas, mashed well with a fork
- For the Icing
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- strained juice of 1–2 lemons
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter gently in a small saucepan, then cool a little. Add the sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla essence. Sift the dry ingredients into a wide bowl and pour in the butter mixture. Stir everything together, adding the mashed bananas; do not overmix or beat the batter.
- Turn the mixture into a lightly buttered 6-cup ring tin and bake for 30 minutes. The cake should be browned, slightly shrinking from the sides of the tin and a skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- To make the lemon icing, put the icing sugar in a bowl and add enough lemon juice to make it a barely pourable consistency. Spread over the cooled cake and leave to set.
Altered ingredient amounts. I doubled the butter, eggs and bananas and it made a larger batch, and the cake was extra moist. Also i used 1 lemon and added an extra cup of icing sugar to the icing mix and a little yellow food dye to give it colour. - 21 Jan 2011
I have also made this into muffins but altered the recipe slightly: brown sugar instead of white, wholemeal flour instead of normal, added cinnamon and sprinkled on top with a mix of walnut, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Beautiful. - 11 Aug 2012
What an easy to make cake with a beautiful moist result! This will be made again and again! - 07 Nov 2009