Baked Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 large zucchini, each about 230g
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, optional
- 375g lean minced lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup passata or a lightly diluted tomato pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preparation:45min › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulpy centre with a teaspoon leaving a 1 cm thick shell. Roughly chop the pulp.
- Place the zucchini shells in a shallow baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 12–15 minutes until just tender. Drain, allow to stand for 5 minutes then add the tomatoes, egg, mint and pepper to season. Set aside.
- Saute the lamb over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the onion and garlic then cook for a further 5 minutes until the onion has softened. Stir in the passata or pasta sauce, reserved zucchini pulp and rosemary. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10–15 minutes. Stir in the rice mixture and mix together.
- Spoon the stuffing mixture into the zucchini shells and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden and crispy on top. Serve immediately.
I have a question. Having looked up this recipe because I have had some success in growing zucchini I want to know how I would change this to use a very big zucchini. This is at least 30 cm and probably weighs about 1.5 kg. Will this work? - 14 Jan 2011
This went down a treat, I used a giant zucchini, just had to cook a little longer. If I let another zucchini grow to marrow then will do it again. - 15 Feb 2012
This is my favourite recipe now. Thanks. But I have modified it to make it even yummier. After scooping out the zucchinis I threw the shells away. In their place I used halved capsicums (no need to bake before adding filling). Incredibly yummy. - 20 Oct 2011