- 1 tablespoon peanut or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 stalk lemon grass, chopped
- 2 fresh red chilies, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500 g chicken mince
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint
- 1 cup (60 g) coriander leaves
- 1 small head cos or 1⁄2 small head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
Preparation:10min › Cook:6min › Ready in:16min
- Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add ginger, lemon grass, chilies and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring. Add chicken and cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Combine lime juice, fish sauce and sugar; pour over chicken.
- Add onion, mint and coriander, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Toss gently. Place salad in individual bowls, garnish with remaining coriander. Scoop portions of salad onto lettuce leaves to form parcels or cups for eating.
For a quick version of this salad, buy a cooked chicken. Remove the skin and bones, then finely chop the chicken breast meat or shred it with a fork.
Something else. add toasted ground rice Toast white rice in a dry pan and grind, do a batch that will last for several dishes. Add about a tablespoon , makes a nice crunch and is authentic - 12 Apr 2010
This recipe is delicious. The whole family love it- even my fussy 2yrd old. - 26 Aug 2012
Altered ingredient amounts. add cashew nuts for extra crunch - 04 Jul 2011